Friday, January 23, 2015

Penguin Colony made the Top 10 designs of Spoonflower Contest

I decided at the start of this new year to be more active in participating on the different design contests that they're held by different companies.
It is a good exercise to practice different topics, topics that maybe wouldn't cross my mind to design and to work on projects for different markets (apparel, fabric, stationary, etc..), also is a good way to  get exposure for your work and the best part is to connect with fellow designers and share the process.
Once a week Spoonflower holds a design contest built around different themes and approachesis always fun and inspiring to see how the designers interpret the topic and how creative they are.
This was my first contest entry of the year and the challenge was Penguins.
It was an an opportunity to create a pattern design with an animal theme  (my first!) definitely  a good stretch for me, lately is been all about designing florals so i needed to step out of my comfort zone.
It was fun to design the penguins I had a wonderful time and the final repeat remind me of a penguin colony.

Penguin colony by Mayacoa©

Was a surprise after the week's voting that my design made it into the top 10 designs of the contest.
 I was jumping in joy to see that my design was voted and liked by the spoonflower's community and it was a good start to the world of competitions.
Being in the top ten gives you the courage and inspiration to keep participating  is a great feeling but my main purpose this year with participating in the competitions is to get knowledge, learn and build my portfolio..and if a win or get into the top ten again..well that's good too :).




The top 10 designs of the contest

Finished project by a Spoonflower's customer, looks great!

Penguin Colony fabric at my Spoonflower shop



All images, patterns and designs © 2015Mayacoa, you may not reproduce or sell in any way.Thank you.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment