Sunday, May 25, 2014

Must see Henri Matisse: The cut-outs at the Tate Modern.



© Succession H. Matisse / DACS 2014

Must see! if you're in London this summer, don't miss this one time exhibition to see together 130 of Henri Matisse Cut-outs including four blue nudes.
Henri Matisse: the cut-outs at the Tate Modern in London, will be open until September 7th and on June 3rd, will be a live broadcast into cinemas around the UK, showing the film “Matisse Live from the Tate Modern”, a behind the scenes view of the exhibition.
In 1941, after having Colon cancer surgery Matisse was confined to a wheelchair. No longer able to paint, he developed a new technique of cutting shapes from sheets of painted paper.
“The cut out was not a renunciation of painting and sculpture: he called it “painting with scissors.” Matisse said, "Only what I created after the illness constitutes my real self: free, liberated.” Moreover, experimentation with cut-outs offered Matisse innumerable opportunities to fashion a new, aesthetically pleasing environment: "You see as I am obliged to remain often in bed because of the state of my health, I have made a little garden all around me where I can walk...  There are leaves, fruits, a bird."(from Henri-matisse.net)
Matisse is one of my favorite artists and has been a very big influence in my art. When I was an art student I attempted to do a similar cut-out work for an assignment without much luck , (I will share it on the next #TBT ;))
The beautiful colorfulness simplicity and emotion behind every cut-out makes this exhibition a must see exhibition.


Hope you enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment